Monday, October 25, 2010

Chocolate Bliss in The Maritimes

Ahhh, chocolate....  I simply must begin by blogging about one of the most divine substances on earth.  Where would we be without chocolate to make life's sweet moments sweeter and to help lift us out of our blues?

The Appleton Chocolate Company, based in Wentworth, Nova Scotia, produces my hands-down favorite chocolates on the planet.  These nuggets of Heaven, double-dipped in French or Belgian chocolate, are literally the first things I buy when I am in NS visiting family (usually either at Jennifers of Nova Scotia, on Spring Garden Rd, or Sweet Retreat in Park Lane Mall).  A variety of flavors are lovingly created by hand, featuring sweet ingredients that are abundant in the province (e.g., wild blueberries, cranberries, and maple syrup).  They are wrapped in colourful foil and sold in packets of 6 or 8, enough to share with your very best friends, or squirreled away to savor later by yourself, if you prefer. (And I often do. With a piping hot cup of tea.  Did I mention I'm a Maritimer?) They are also available for purchase through the company's website loose, in charming decorative tins, or elegant boxes, perfect for gift-giving. And who wouldn't be thrilled to receive a gift of these mouth watering sweets!  Upon request, customized wedding favors can also be created for your special day.



Do take a moment to read the "Who We Are" section on company website.  My family knew Alan, the founder of Appleton Chocolates, when he was still making chocolates as a hobby!  It has been wonderful to see his business flourish, and though I haven't seen him in almost 15 years, I remain a loyal and satisfied customer.

For an alternative chocolate experience, try "raw" chocolate.  I discovered Rawthentic Chocolate last summer at the Historic Keith's Brewery Farmers Market last summer. Co-owner Reynard Bockart, decked out in snazzy Willy Wonka attire (including top hat), handed out product samples, answered questions, and genuinely enjoyed every minute of interacting with the public!  Part of the attraction of raw chocolate, in addition to the intense, pure taste, is that it is made without milk, making it a suitable treat for the lactose intolerant.  It's main ingredient, cacao, is said to be one of the highest sources of antioxidants and is a good source of magnesium.  Cacao is often reported by raw chocolate enthusiasts to induce a mild, natural "high".  Could just be hype.  All I know is, after eating the Rawthentic Fudge (it's made with coconut butter, and is my favorite of his products), I felt a fantastic surge of energy.  Not your average sugar buzz, which always seems to have an edge to it, but a feeling of bliss and well-being.  I'm not kidding. This is good stuff.  



Other Rawthentic Chocolate products include chocolate bars, Sun bars (including ingredients like sunflower seeds, goji berries, honey, and cacao nibs), Kapowie bars (which consist of a plethora of raw, nutrition-packed ingredients), heart-shaped chocolates, and macaroons.

Rawthentic chocolate can be purchased at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market at pier 21 and also at the Historic Keith's Brewery Market (Halifax).  Please contact Reynard through his website or by calling (902) 455-5153 with inquires re: online purchasing and shipping.

2 comments:

  1. This chocolate is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had anything like it! I can honestly I say its some of the best chocolate I've ever eaten and it doesn't leave you feeling sick. My experience was quite the opposite actually. I felt great (mood enhancement) and I didn't feel too speedy or have blood sugar issue which can happen to me at times on too much sugar/chocolate. Ive only tried Reynards chocolate 3 times but I would deffinitely recommend it to anyone.Its a shame and somewhat surprising that rawthentic chocolate isn't easier to find.

    ReplyDelete