Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mumm's Sprouting Seeds - Contest

We are now well into January, finding our groove in this brand new year, and have, for the most part, settled back into our routines.  The holiday season of 2010 is but a memory.  Unfortunately, the lingering effects of too many Yule Tide treats is anything but a figment of the imagination!  If you're like me, overindulgence in sweets and snacks has left you wanting to shed a few pounds, cleanse your system, and craving clean, green foods.

To that end, I present Mumm's Sprouting Seeds!  I discovered Mumm's Seeds (Shellbrook, Saskatchewan) several Januaries ago, when I was longing to eat more fresh vegetables, yet appalled by the winter produce prices at the grocery store.  The only person in the house who enjoys daily fresh vegetables, I also found the ones I did purchase were spoiling before they were entirely consumed.  Money into the composter.  Sprouting seemed to be the perfect solution.  I could grow as many - or as few - at a time as I wished and would have a constant supply of fresh, nutrient-packed vegetables at my fingertips. It also satisfied my yearning to GROW something in the dead of winter, to have a little "garden" of seedlings sprouting in my kitchen window months before I could actually dig outside in the dirt!


Jim & Maggie Mumm originally started growing organic alfalfa and radish seed for sprouting as a sideline business.  By the mid 90's, the business had flourished to the point where they needed to hire employees to help out!

The Mumm's Seeds website offers a wealth of information about sprouting.  The online store has everything you need to get started, including sprouting jars, hemp bags (my preferred way to sprout), automatic sprouting trays, books about sprouting, and starter kits.  Naturally, a wide variety of seeds are available as well.  My favorites include red clover, black lentil (my favorite to snack on), the crunchy bean mix, the sandwich booster mix, marrowfat peas (great in salads - yum!) and broccoli (these sprouts contain many times the cancer fighting sulforaphanes of mature broccoli).  Sprouts are versatile and in most cases, very easy to grow.  Add them to soups, sandwich wraps, salads, or snack on them "straight up".  Milder sprouts can even be added to smoothies and green drinks for an extra boost of enzymes and chlorophyll. For those interested in emergency preparedness or stocking a long-term pantry, do consider ordering larger quantities of seeds. They are well packaged and store for years. 

The Mumm's Seeds website has both Canadian and American online stores.  I can attest to their excellent customer service and QUICK shipping.  There is free shipping on Canadian orders over $25 and on American orders over $50. Seeds can be exported to Europe and Asia as well.

 The majority (85%) of Mumm's seeds are sourced in Saskatchewan.  Some of the seeds they make available simply do not grow well in the province's climate (or Canada's, for that matter), and those they have to source elsewhere.  All Mumm's seeds are certified organic.

Eager to try sprouting at home?  Here's how!

Learn more about the many health benefits of eating sprouts.

Wondering what the difference is between fenugreek, amaranth, and quinoa? (And how do you use them, anyway?!)  Check out this informative seed summary.

The fine folks at Mumm's have very generously offered to award a $25 gift certificate to the winner of this contest!


CONTEST

Enter to win a $25 gift certificate to Mumm's Seeds online store!

Open to residents of Canada and the United States.

Contest ends Sunday, January 16th at 8:00pm Pacific Standard Time.  Winner to be randomly selected.  If the winner has not responded to my notification by Wednesday, January 19th at 8:00pm PST, another winner will be selected. 

Please note: shipping of the winner's order is free if the winner resides in Canada.  If the winner resides in the USA, they will be responsible for the shipping charges related to their order. 


This contest has now ended.  The winner is D. Criss of Lyons, Indiana.  
Sincere thanks to everyone who dropped by and entered!

32 comments:

  1. I would love to try the Broccoli Brassica Blend.
    I'm in Canada.

    ajmizen(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new follower of your blog via GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "Like" the True North Treasures fan page on Facebook. (Amy M)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would love the garlic chives!! They are so good! abreakenridge@gmail.com and I am from Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post. I would love to grow some of these if I could keep my furbabies out of them! Yummy for all four of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try the Oriental Mustard seeds!

    I am in Canada!

    sbabij2 at shaw dot ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am following with GFC

    sbabij2 at shaw dot ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE those Mumm's people and their service, too. I want one (or 2) of everything, please. I bought my Mom a sprouter for her past birthday - 77- so you are never too old to learn to sprout. She is in BC, I am in IL

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want to try Alfalfa Seed
    fwdsd45 @gmail.com
    im in canada

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to try alfalfa. Would be great for salads!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to try the fenugreek seeds...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I follow you on GFC (I'm Fiona with the white cat avatar)
    fmgregory at myway dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to try this one
    Broccoli Brassica Blend I think we would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to try the Red Clover seeds.
    wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learned that sprouts have the potential to help solve hunger and malnutrition problems in our communities and in developing countries, because they are so rich in nutrients, affordable, and easy to transport before sprouting.
    (my email is public on GFC)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to try the gets sprouting set that comes with the crunchy bean mix & the sandwich booster. I absolutely love sprouts and would probably really enjoy growing my own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would devour the garlic chives in my egg white omelets!
    bcbeaveratheart@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. im in canada, ont
    and i love growing basil and purple basil sprouts but want to try garlic and pea sprouts

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sunflower and radish sprouts. I like both on top of organic medium rare hamburger.

    Hope to win!

    xxbowietipxx@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I follow via GFC....

    xxbowietipxx@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I follow via GFC

    username is cherdon

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd like to try Alfalfa Seeds the most

    cherdon@sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
  23. The pink kale sprouts sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd like to try the Sunflower.
    Jennifer, jennem22 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just started my first jar of sprouts today! I'd love to grow mung bean sprouts!

    I'm in Alberta
    elainatelusnet

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to try the Spring Mixture seeds-would be so great to have fresh sprouts in the middle of winter.

    Elaine R
    emrosser@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  27. I follow you via Google Friend Connect (Sewmuchstuff). Thank you for the lovely giveaway.
    sewmuchstuff at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love the Get Sprouting Jar Kit.
    sewmuchstuff at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want to get the garbonzo beans!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i want to try cress seeds

    anashct at yahoo dot com

    thks for the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would like to try the Crunchy Bean Mix.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome post! Mumms got a new site, and have an online store to purchase sprouting seeds.

    Mumm's Sprouting Seed's

    ReplyDelete